The CleanBC Custom-Lite Program is intended to help building owners and operators reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in their existing commercial buildings. The Custom-Lite program is a simplified version of the larger CleanBC Custom Program and is intended to facilitate smaller electrification opportunities across the commercial and institutional building sector.
The Program offers Capital Incentives of $60/tCO2e of lifetime GHG savings for heat pump roof top units and $40/tCO2e of lifetime GHG savings for all other qualifying measures up to maximum $48,000 incentive per customer. The Program also offers Energy Study funding for 50% of the cost of an energy study, up to a maximum of $2,000.
For a limited time, BC Hydro is offering free energy coaching services to assist building owners and operators reduce GHGs through fuel-switching and other electrification measures and take advantage of CleanBC’s Custom-Lite incentive offering. Interested applicants are asked to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Energy Study Funding – The program will support up to 50% of an energy study cost, up to a maximum of $2,000.
Custom Capital Funding Incentives – based on a rate of $40/t C02e of lifetime GHG savings, the program will support up to $48,000 per customer. For heat pump rooftop units, the rate will be 60/t C02e.
- The building must be a commercial, institutional, or a multi-unit residential building.
- The project must demonstrate the potential to implement measures at a single facility that will lead to at least 500 and less than 1,200 tC02e of lifetime savings.
- To qualify as an energy measure, projects must:
- Provide a net decrease in greenhouse gas emissions
- Result in energy impacts that are measurable and verifiable
- Result in energy impacts that can be estimated using standard engineering calculations
- Involve a technology that is not covered by other utility DSM programs (e.g. FortisBC’s Commercial Custom Program).
- Individual Custom-Lite Projects are limited to a total of $48,000 in incentives. The overall customer cap for combined Custom-Lite and Custom projects is $500,000 which can be spread over multiple projects and locations.
- Equipment cannot be purchased before finalizing and signing the Capital Incentive Agreement.
- CleanBC Custom Incentive Measures can include the following, refer to the Participant’s Guide for more information:
- Air-to-Water Heat Pump Water Heater
- Air-to-Air Rooftop Heat Pump
- Sewage Heat Recovery Heat Pump
- High-efficiency (>75%) HRV*
- Electric Water Heater**
- Air Source VRF
- Electrical Cooking Equipment
- The following measures qualify but are typically found in larger buildings and as such may not fall within the participation criteria thresholds for the Custom-Lite Program.
- Heat Recovery Chiller*
- Ground Source Heat Pump
- Water-to-Water Heat Pump
- Exhaust Air Heat Recovery Heat Pump
- Electric Boiler**
- Water Source VRF
* Note: Proposed measures leading to a gas dominant heating system (i.e. Gas heating equipment with greater than 50% share in total building heating energy consumption) should first contact Fortis BC to inquire about eligibility in its gas DSM program.
** Note: Electric boiler only will be accepted if all other more efficient heat pump options are not feasible.
How to Apply
- Read all materials, including the Participant’s Guide and Frequently Asked Questions, and download the Custom-Lite Workbook. Contact the Business Help Desk, Business Account Rep or Key Account Manager, if you have any further questions.
- Submit the completed Custom-Lite Workbook.
- You have 6 months from the date of the signed Energy Study-lite Agreement to complete the energy study.
- You have 12 months from the date of the signed Capital Incentive Agreement to complete the project.
- For custom projects that will lead to 1,200 tC02e of lifetime GHG savings or more, see the CleanBC Custom Program.
- Check out our incentive search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades incentives.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.
- To access free energy coaching services, contact email@example.com to get started.
Program Contact Information
Contact your Key Account Manager or Energy Savings Business Help Desk.