The CleanBC Custom Program offers energy study funding and capital incentives for fuel switching and other electrification measures. The program is funded by the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada and is administered by BC Hydro.
If you are a customer in FortisBC’s electricity service area (including the City of Grand Forks, City of Penticton, District of Summerland, or Nelson Hydro), please contact your FortisBC Technical Advisor to discuss similar funding opportunities for fuel switching. If you are considering a natural gas conservation project, please contact your FortisBC Key Account Manager, or visit the Fortis BC Custom Performance Program for more details.
Energy Study Funding – the Custom Program supports up to 50% of an energy study’s cost, up to a maximum of $20,000.
Custom Capital Funding Incentives – based on a rate of $40/tCO2e of lifetime greenhouse gas savings, BC Hydro will support up to $200,000 per customer. For heat pump rooftop units, the Program offers a rate of $60/tCO2e.
- You must have a BC Hydro Key Account Manager.
- The building(s) must be in the BC Hydro service territory, including New Westminster.
- The project must demonstrate at the pre-screening phase the potential to implement measures at a single facility that will lead to at least 1,200 tC02e of lifetime GHG savings.
- To qualify as an energy measure, the project must:
- Provide a net decrease in GHGs
- Result in energy impacts that are measurable and verifiable, and that can be estimate using standard engineering calculations.
- Involve a technology that is not covered by other utility DSM programs
- Involve a technology that provides net electrical load growth
- Custom Capital Incentives require the completion of an energy study. Energy studies completed prior to the launch of the Custom Program can be eligible but must be approved by BC Hydro.
- Individual Custom Projects are limited to a total of $200,000 in incentives. The overall customer cap for combined Custom and Custom-Lite projects is $750,000 which can be spread over multiple projects and locations.
- Equipment cannot be purchased before finalizing and signing the Capital Incentive Agreement.
- Potential CleanBC Custom Incentive Measures can include the following, refer to the Participant’s Guide for more information:
- Heat Recovery Chiller*
- Air-to-Water Heat Pump
- Air-to-Water Heat Pump Water Heater
- Ground Source Heat Pump
- Air-to-Air Rooftop Heat Pump
- Water-to-Water Heat Pump
- Exhaust Air Heat Recovery Heat Pump
- Sewage Heat Recovery Heat Pump
- Electric Boiler**
- Electric Water Heater**
- High-efficiency (>75%) HRV***
- Air Source VRF
- Water Source VRF
*Depending on the specific heat recovery chiller project circumstance, customers should first contact FortisBC to inquire about eligibility in its natural gas DSM program.
**Electric boiler only will be accepted if all other more efficient heat pump options are not feasible
***Stand Alone High Efficiency HRV projects should contact FortisBC first. If an HRV measure is combined with an all-electric heating system (i.e. VRF System) this project should apply for CleanBC Custom Incentives administered by BC Hydro.
How to Apply
Energy Study Funding
- Read all materials, including the Participant’s Guide and Frequently Asked Questions, and download the Custom Workbook.
- Contact your BC Hydro Key Account Manager to discuss your project and complete the ‘Pre-Screen’ tab of the Custom Workbook.
- BC Hydro will review the Pre-Screen and if the project is considered eligible, a kick-off meeting is held between you, your Key Account Manager, your selected consultant, and BC Hydro’s CEM Engineering team.
Custom Capital Funding Incentives
- Submit a completed energy study to your Key Account Manager that is approved by BC Hydro CEM Engineering. This can either be an CleanBC funded study or a non-funded study.
- Your Key Account Manager will submit the incentive application.
- You have 6 months from the date of the signed Energy Study Agreement to complete the energy study.
- You have 18 months from the date of the signed Capital Incentive Agreement to implement the project.
- For custom projects that will lead to less than 1,200 tC02e of lifetime GHG savings, see the CleanBC Custom-Lite Program.
- Check out our incentive search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades incentives.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.
Program Contact Information
For further information please contact your BC Hydro Key Account Manager.