The FortisBC Rental Apartment Efficiency Program provides free water saving showerhead and faucet aerators installation, a building energy assessment and ongoing professional assistance to guide apartment building managers and property owners through the process of completing energy efficiency upgrades. During the building assessment, engineering consultants will identify low-cost energy-saving improvements, as well as opportunities to save through other FortisBC incentive programs.
If you decide to upgrade the building’s space heating or water heating systems, the program will support you along the way from acquiring quotes and finding the right contractor, to applying for incentive offered by FortisBC.
- Free water-efficient showerhead and a kitchen and bathroom faucet aerator installation in each unit; Buildings in FortisBC electric service areas may also receive the installation of LED lightbulbs.
- A free building energy assessment to identify energy-efficiency improvements and upgrades.
- If you decide to make larger energy-efficiency upgrades, FortisBC will support you every step of the way, from acquiring quotes and finding the right contractor to applying for incentives.
Your building must:
- Be a purpose-built rental containing a minimum of nine units and not be slated for demolition.
- Receive natural gas and/or electricity under a commercial rate class from FortisBC or municipal electricity of Grand Forks, Penticton, Summerland and Nelson Hydro.
- Have natural gas water heating or central electric (only for FortisBC or municipal electricity customers)
- Not have any water-efficient showerheads and aerators previously installed.
Note: Per the BC Residential Tenancy Act, you must provide tenants with the proper notice to access suites. A property manager or building representative must accompany contractors as they install products in each unit and complete the building assessment.
How to Apply
- Carefully read the terms and conditions to confirm your eligibility. Submit the application form to email@example.com. The application form must be filled out and submitted by the owner of the building.
- Once your application is approved you will be contacted by the program to schedule a date for the product installation and the building energy assessment.
- Allow a minimum of 30 days for the program to process your application.
The program is available to the first 200 approved buildings.
- If your building already uses upgraded efficiency showerheads and aerators, you can still take advantage of FortisBC’s other programs such as the incentives on commercial water heaters and efficient boilers.
- Check out our incentive search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades incentives.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.
- Learn more and apply for incentives by visiting FortisBC.